Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Through the eyes of a child

Today I was Miss [LAST NAME] to a classroom of 20 3rd graders.  I hope I'm not "that" substitute that weird or mean or the one that they dread.  I don't think I am.  But I hope not.  I know that I am known throughout the school as the sub that wears pointy shoes.  Kids...you really make a difference you know?  :)
 
After school today I was taking a group of elementary school students over to location T for their pickup and I was talking with another teacher.  We were watching a little boy climb all over a parking space blocker thingy.  Yeah, real technical term.  I don't know what they're called.  They are those cement blocks at the front end of the parking space that tells you you're up far enough and don't go any further.  Anyway, he was climbing all over this and using his huge imagination to pretend he was on top of some reptile, scaling his back and chasing someone. 
 
We were laughing and I was thinking how great, he has a wonderful imagination and at the same time thinking, "Some day he'll realize that it's just a piece of cement."  The other teacher pointed out something very important.  She said something to the point of, "Isn't it amazing how children find excitement in doing, seeing and experiencing almost anything?"  I just stood there thinking "Yeah, it really is." 
 
There I was thinking to myself that one day that child will finally realize what the truth is and then he'll wake up.  But the truth is, everything around is remarkable and exciting.  We as adults have just "lost that lovin' feelin'" about things.  We no longer find it exciting because either people have told us the "truth" like I was hoping that boy would recognize or we have taken it for granted. 
 
Why do we feel too stupid to get excited about the little things, to want the mundane or to act silly with friends.  Look through the eyes of a child and you'll see "a whole new world" around you.  Look through the eyes of a child and everything becomes new and exciting and something ready to conquer and explore.  Maybe then we'll get our dreams back or at least remember how to dream.

 

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing that. You are very insightful. Never give up your dreams.

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home